**2011 UPDATE: CLICK HERE for current list**
Each year I compile a list of bars and restaurants that open their doors for the holiday season – so you can meet up with visiting friends … or maybe escape from relatives.
You'll find there's little shortage of spirit-raising at the holidays, it's simply finding the right venue.
Below is a round-up of some local taverns and eateries that are planning to have some holiday hours this year, and I'll continue to update as I know more. If you know of any additions, please e-mail me or add them in the comments. Happy Holidays!
- Arooga's 15 and 39 open Christmas Eve until 7 p.m.
- Arooga's 22 and 11 open Christmas Eve until 2 a.m.
- All Arooga's locations open Christmas Day at 4 p.m. with $5 Bud Light & Coors Light pitchers and $6 Captain Morgan and cola pitchers.
- Fenicci's open from 4 p.m. to midnight on Christmas Eve with a full menu – plus the traditional Italian seven fishes; Christmas Day open 4 p.m. to midnight with a full menu.
- Santa is not afraid of the Brick Haus. Open 'til 2 a.m. Christmas Eve. Re-open Christmas night from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Get last minute grub to feed the fam (or grab a last-minute $25 gift card) at South Philly Hoagies, open Christmas Eve from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Cellar is accepting reservations through 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
- Brass Rail Deli – stop in a get a make-your-own 6-pack or gift card for the beer connoisseur on your list – open Christmas Eve through 6 p.m. (Food served until 5 p.m.)
- Spice opens Christmas Day at 5 p.m.
- Ceoltas Irish Pub will open for cocktails at 4 p.m. on Christmas Eve and at 8 p.m. on Christmas Day with DJ Sizzors (no menu).
- DJ Ray Rossi is hosting a Scrooged Dance Party on Christmas night at Portabella's from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- The Paxtang Grill is open Christmas Eve until 6 p.m. with free homemade egg nog and hot dogs and sauerkraut.
- The Downtown After Dark group – Bourbon Streets, Hardware Bars, Sam Bucca's, Egypt, etc. are all closed Christmas Eve and reopen at 8 p.m. on Christmas night.
- Confit French Bistro is accepting reservations for an amazing prixe fixe menu on Christmas Eve.
- Garrason's Tavern will be open from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with $3 U CALL ITS from 10 p.m. to midnight both nights. Christmas Day also features karaoke from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. No menu available either day.
- Shady McGrady's Midtown is open 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. both Christmas Eve and Day.
- Shady McGrady's Downtown is open from 5 p.m. to midnight on Christmas Eve and Day.
- The Grotto Pub will be open from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Christmas Eve and from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Christmas night.
- Christmas Eve at Flinchy's, the kitchen closes at 5 p.m., but the party goes all night with DJ Neil. On Christmas Day, Flinchy's opens at 5 p.m. with DJ Kyle D.