Even those of us who love summer know a better season when we see it. Is there anyone who doesn’t just adore fall? Here in Pennsylvania, we enjoy the beauty of the change in shades of rust-colored, falling leaves and cooler, lower humidity temperatures.
We add scarves and boots back into our wardrobe, go apple-picking, ask for harvest beers on tap, eat and buy everything pumpkin-flavored and scented, and tune to football all weekend long. What could be better?
So it seems that 8 bajillion (exact number) events go on during this month, and though still warm, we shove summer’s sun and heat from our minds and dive into autumn. And, as is tradition, I’ve compiled the highlights for you below. Look for more details on many of these events as they approach in my Out with Sara column published Fridays in The Patriot-News.
Mark your calendar now for some truly great festivals and celebrations going on all month long:
- The annual KIPONA festival Monday, Sept. 3 in downtown Harrisburg. Greenbelt Events booked all live entertainment.
- The Spa at The Hotel Hershey is offering special wine treatments to correspond with their wine festival (see below). Choose from the Red, Red Wine Package; Gentlemen’s Wine Barrel Package; or Vineyard Hands & Feet.
- Troegs Brewing Co.’s fall brew, Dead Reckoning Porter, is available now.
- Harrisburg Comedy Zone (New Cumberland) is hosting the 2012 Comedy Improv Throwdown Sept. 7-9, hosted by resident improv troupe, Don’t Break the Streak.
- Savannah’s on Hanna celebrate 3 years with adult star Jesse James on Sept. 8-9.
- The Dauphin County Jazz & Wine Festival takes place Sept. 8-9, as does the Gettysburg Wine & Music Festival.
- McGrath’s Pub celebrates 10 years with a block party on Sept. 8.
- Sunday, Sept. 9 is the 24th annual Gallery Walk, put on by the Art Association of Harrisburg and featuring dozens of local artists.
- Pamper Your Palate with Harrisburg Restaurant Week runs Sept. 10-14.
- Sept. 12-16 is America’s Largest RV Show in Hershey.
- The Salvation Army Shoe Strut is Sept. 14 at the West Shore Country Club.
- Sept. 15 is the 15th annual Capital City BEER FEST Invitational at ABC Harrisburg. 2 sessions.
- The Vineyard at Hershey has its highly anticipated Merlot Release Pig Roast on Sept. 15. The new wine will arrive via helicopter …
- The Newberrytown Wine, Chili, & Blues Festival takes place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 15 at the Newberrytown Peddlers Market featuring chili contests, vendors, live blues music from Octavia, and wine from Hummingbird Ridge Winery.
- The aforementioned Hershey Wine Festival is Sunday, Sept. 16, with pre-festival events on Friday and Saturday.
- Sunday, Sept. 16 is Fort Hunter Day.
- Hershey has moved its Restaurant Week to later in the month. It will run from Sept. 23 to 29.
- The next SaraBozich.com Happy Hour: Links & Drinks is Thursday, Sept. 27 at Felicita Resort. Sign-up for all SaraBozich.com events.
- The 26th annual New Cumberland Apple Festival is Sept. 29.
- The new Federal Taphouse is slated to open in late September at the site of the former Dragonfly nightclub. (FED LIVE, the second floor music venue, opened Sept. 2.)
- The Hershey Community Chorus Harvest Moon Festival takes places Sept. 29 in Hummelstown.
- Woofstock is Sept. 30!